Monday, July 1, 2013

Ukrsotsbank Internship Journal: The 3-Day Work Week

This past week at my internship was much shorter than usual, with only three working days as a result of Orthodox Ascension on Monday, 24 June, and then Ukraine’s Constitution Day on Friday, 28 June. However, while the work week was 40% shorter, I was still quite busy in the PR Department with a new translation project—this time from English to Russian!

On Tuesday, upon coming into work, Маша (one of the ladies who works in my sub-department) asked me to translate the entirety of an internal PR document outlining how to use the yearly Local Sustainability Report. The report details what UniCredit/Ukrsotsbank did over the past year in order to ensure financial stability as well as environmental sustainability, both in terms of the business environment and the natural environment. However, while the basic structure and outline of the report is prepared centrally by UniCredit, country-specific details need to be filled in the PR department of each department. This allows the document to speak much more directly and closely to stakeholders and investors in each individual country in which the UniCredit Group operates, since there are often large differences between banking and finance operations between countries in Europe, especially in terms of sustainability initiatives. Thus, the bank essentially needs to have a report about how to use another report!

Translating the guidelines for the local sustainability report proved challenging almost immediately, simply because of the large number of rather cumbersome English phrases and somewhat unusual words in the document. However, a combination of my own knowledge, Google Translate, and cross-checking with my colleagues allowed me to get through the first three pages before the short week ended. I still have the bulk of the document to translate next week.

Additionally, I checked the English translation of a press release about the new internet banking services being started by Ukrsotsbank in Ukraine. I found a handful of relatively minor errors or oddly phrased expressions, but in general I found it more interesting to learn more about the development of online banking and commerce in Ukraine. Online business and financial transactions are increasing rapidly here, and it is good to see that Ukrsotsbank and UniCredit are committed to providing technologically updated client services to the people of Ukraine. I still think that the bank should develop a mobile banking app though…

Anyway, I certainly didn't mind not having to work Friday afternoon, and ended up using my free time to meet up with Yurii, the only other guy in my part of the office, for a free beach party near the Dnieper River. Unfortunately, after only about an hour it started to rain heavily, which ended up leading to quite an adventure...but that's maybe a topic for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment